Personal Injury Lawyer
Hazleton, PA

An attorney experienced in child support issues

An issue that comes up often in divorce is child support; that is, payment from one parent to the other to help with the cost of their child's care, education and other basic expenses. Attorneys Theodore Laputka and Edward McNelis know that child support can play a very important role in providing the best life and future for the children of divorce. But the parents often don't agree on what those payments should be.

In Pennsylvania, both parents are generally responsible for the support of children under the age of 18. The amount of support is determined by several factors:

  • The needs of the child
  • Weekly gross income of each parent
  • The child's standard of living before the divorce
  • Any special needs the child may have
  • Parenting time of the noncustodial parent

State courts issue orders for custody and child support after considering the best interests of the child. The idea is for a child to spend time with both parents and maintain the standard of living he or she had prior to the divorce.

Usually, the noncustodial parent (the parent who only has the child part of the time, or not at all) is ordered to pay child support to the custodial parent. But the amount of parenting time is a big factor in determining the payments. For example, a noncustodial parent who has a child 40 percent of the time will pay a lower percentage of income for support than one who has a child 20 percent of the time.

Protecting your rights

Family law Attorney Theodore Laputka and Edward McNelis know that divorce is especially difficult for your child. They will work toward an outcome that is in the best interests of your child but also protects your rights. This begins by helping you get a fair custody order so that you pay or receive an appropriate amount of support for your child.

Once child support has been ordered, it can only be modified by petitioning the court. In general, it can only be modified if there is a change in circumstances. If you have lost your job or experienced a significant decrease in income, our legal team can help you petition the court to modify the support order. If the child's other parent has failed to provide child support, they can advise you on your legal options.

When you are faced with the issue of child support in a divorce, you need an experienced and skilled family law attorney-one who has the compassion to consider what's best for both you and your child in this difficult time.

Contact us to learn how McNelis Law can help you with child support issues. We offer a free consultation.