Personal Injury Lawyer
Hazleton, PA

We represent people hurt by uninsured and underinsured drivers

In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, all drivers are required by law to carry at least a minimum amount of liability coverage. But some motorists choose to break those laws and carry no coverage at all, and many car accidents cause damages in excess of the available coverage. If that is what happened to you, you may need to file an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim. These cases can be highly contentious, and you need an experienced attorney on your side.

Attorney Edward P. McNelis has extensive experience dealing with the insurance companies on all sorts of complex, contested claims. If you’ve been hurt by an uninsured or underinsured driver, he can help you strike back. Contact McNelis Law today.

Pennsylvania’s insurance laws leave many people undercompensated

In Pennsylvania, motorists are only required to carry what’s often called 15/30/5 liability coverage: $15,000 for injury to a single individual per accident, $30,000 total for all injuries inflicted in a single accident, and $5,000 for property damage per accident. Many auto accidents cause significantly greater losses than these minimum amounts will cover, especially when you take into account medical expenses, lost wages and other related costs.

Moreover, there are some drivers who break the law and drive without any liability insurance at all. If an uninsured driver is involved in an accident, he or she will face charges – but that doesn’t help you get the compensation you need.

That’s why we strongly recommend carrying uninsured and underinsured motorist protection (UM/UIM) on your own insurance policy. This is an optional type of coverage that stands in for the other motorist’s liability coverage and pays for your damages up to the UM/UIM policy limit. Uninsured and underinsured motorist protection is usually very affordable, especially in light of the amount of protection you’ll receive.

A car accident lawyer can help you move your claim forward

If you’ve been involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist and you have the appropriate type of coverage on your own insurance policy, you may think you’re all set. But the truth is that these claims are often difficult to pursue. Even your own insurance company, which is ostensibly on your side, may make it difficult for you to get the compensation you need. We can help you file this claim and recover the full amount of compensation you’re entitled to receive.

If you don’t have UM/UIM coverage, we still want to hear from you. We’ll review your insurance policy and make sure that you were actually offered this coverage as required by law; if the insurance company didn’t follow protocol, then you may have a case. We’ll also investigate to see if there are any other policies or sources of compensation that could be pursued in your case.

You need to take action right away after an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver. Contact us online or call (570) 455-6335 today. We’d be happy to review your rights and options in a free consultation.